From: Ian Lynagh <igloo <at> earth.li>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Deprecate and remove Prelude.catch and System.IO.Error.{catch,try}
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries
Date: Tuesday 4th January 2011 18:20:58 UTC (over 6 years ago)
On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:36:33PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:

>     Deprecate and remove Prelude.catch and System.IO.Error.{catch,try}
>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4865
>
> Suggested deadline: 24 Jan 2011.

Summary so far:

Deprecating/removing Prelude.catch seems to have consensus so far, with
several people in favour and only one opposed.

A couple more people thought that System.IO.Error ought to export
functions to handle the exceptions that it talks about.

GHC actually can't currently deprecate one export of 'catch' but not the
other. Because of this, and because of the possible confusion etc with
having 2 'catch' functions, I suggest we add catchIO and tryIO to
System.IO.Error too. This will also give the new report a catch function
it can refer to without having to worry about existential
quantification etc.

Thanks
Ian

CD: 3ms