From: Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Export String from Data.String (and two related proposals)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries
Date: Wednesday 17th November 2010 22:06:30 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM, Duncan Coutts
 wrote:
>> If we accept 3 then in the spirit of  "export a symbol from as few
modules
>> as possible", you may expect a fourth proposal: Unexport the String
>> operations: lines, words, unlines and unwords from Data.List.
>> However I think this will break lots of programs. I have no problem also
>> discussing this one though.
>
> Yeah, I agree in principle, but probably best to leave that for later.

It obviously needs to go through a deprecation phase.

It would be great if we could {-# DEPRECATE #-} an export?

So something like:

module Data.List
  (  ...
  {-# DEPRECATE lines "Exported from Data.String instead" #-}
  , lines
  ) where
lines = ...

Alternatively, we could just {-# DEPRECATE #-} the functions in
Data.List and define equivalently named new ones in Data.String.

What about doing this for a base-4.3.1 ?

Regards,

Bas

CD: 3ms