From: Simon Marlow <marlowsd <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Job for someone: make a VM image for GHC development
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.glasgow.user
Date: Tuesday 2nd June 2009 11:57:11 UTC (over 8 years ago)
I forget who mentioned this to me, but I think it's a great idea.

Things like VirtualBox and VMWare are pretty easy to install and set up
these days.  It wouldn't be hard for someone to create a VM image of a
Linux system with a complete GHC development environment set up and
ready to go.

This would have a lot of benefits:

  * Easy to buy into: just install VirtualBox (or whatever), download
    the image, register it and away you go.

  * Would make the barrier to entry much lower for someone who wants
    to make a small change, e.g. to the docs, or a library.  validate
    and 'darcs send' would Just Work.

  * Would serve as an example of best-practice in setting up a GHC
    development environment.

The hard part might be optimising the install so that we don't end up
with an enormous image file.  We'd probably need to find a suitably
minimal Linux install, or start from an existing minimal Linux VM image.

Anyone feeling keen?

Cheers,
	Simon

CD: 3ms