From: Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj <at> microsoft.com>
Subject: Marketing Haskell
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general
Date: Wednesday 1st April 2009 08:07:44 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Dear Haskell enthusiasts,

Now that the logo issue finally has been settled, it is time to select
the proper Haskell mascot.  As you are no doubt aware, Microsoft's
involvement in Haskell means that we have moved from avoiding success
at all cost to actively marketing the language, and any language
striving for success is entirely dependent on a cute and distinctive
mascot.  Where would Perl be today without its camel?

Since the recent logo discussion has demonstrated once and for all the
futility of attempting a democratic process in the Haskell community -
to be quite honest, the elected logo looks like an error message from an
IBM
mainframe - I have decided to decide on a mascot myself.

So I hereby declare the official Haskell mascot to be the koala, in
the form of the image attached below.  Please ensure that this image
accompanies any material published on the web or on paper.

Simon

CD: 3ms