From: Ashley Yakeley <ashley <at> semantic.org>
Subject: Spam on HaskellWiki
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general
Date: Saturday 13th December 2008 11:10:10 UTC (over 9 years ago)
This is beginning to annoy people. Actually, someone registered several
thousand accounts (of the form XxxxxXxxxx), though almost all of them
have not been used. The others have been used to add spam.

I can block user accounts and IP addresses, and I can grant this
privilege to others on whatever basis the Haskell community think
appropriate.

I have CheckUser installed (allows me to find the IP addresses of a
given user, and find edits from a particular IP address), and this is
also a grantable privilege. However, given that the spam is coming from
quite a number of IP addresses, I suspect there is some kind of botnet
involved.

There is a tool called "rollback" that allows one-click revert of one or
more sequential edits from the same user, which makes reverting spam a
one-click-per-page operation. Again, this is a grantable privilege and
in any case relatively harmless. However, it is only available with
MediaWiki 1.9 and later, and HaskellWiki is running MediaWiki 1.5.4, so
this means doing an upgrade. The current stable release is 1.13.2.

--
Ashley Yakeley

CD: 3ms