From: Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj <at> microsoft.com>
Subject: Ancient, but still having fun
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general
Date: Friday 18th January 2008 23:07:03 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Friends,

It's Friday 18 January 2008, which makes it my 50th birthday.  I spent part
of the day happily polishing Geoff Mainland's patch that adds quasi-quoting
to GHC, and committing it to the GHC HEAD.

I'm happy to say that this is increasingly the story: more and more people
are getting involved with making GHC into a better compiler.  Better still,
many more people are involved in making Haskell a successful and
increasingly-influential language.  I'm boggled by the sheer number of
libraries that are announced these days in each issue of the Haskell Weekly
(sic) News.  And for the first time I'm getting invitations out of the blue
to speak about Haskell at mainstream professional-developer conferences.
Suddenly Haskell is cool.

Ancient or not, I'm still having a terrific time in this community.  When I
first became addicted to functional programming, as a result of Arthur
Norman's 4-lecture course, and David Turner's SK-combinator papers, I never
dreamt of what a wild and fascinating ride it would turn out to be.

Thank you all!

Simon

CD: 3ms