From: Johan Jeuring <johanj <at> cs.uu.nl>
Subject: Common library for generic programming
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general
Date: Thursday 28th September 2006 09:18:21 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Dear haskellers,

Generic programming has been around for more than 10 years now. We
think a lot of progress has been made in the last decade. As an
example, there are more than 10 proposals for libraries or language
extensions only for Haskell.

The success  of generic programming has also caused a problem:
although generic programming has been applied in several
applications, it lacks actual users for real-life projects (HaRe
using Strafunski is maybe an exception). This is understandable:
choosing a particular approach to generic programming for a real-life
project is rather risky: few approaches that have been developed over
the last decade are still supported, and there is a high risk that
the chosen approach will not be supported anymore, or that at least
it will change in a backwards incompatible way in a couple of years
time.

We have recently started an initiative to design a common library for
generic programming, which should work together with most of the
Haskell compilers, and for which we hope to guarantee support for a
longer period.

If you want to get involved (or just want to see the discussion), you
can subscribe to the mailing list [email protected], see