From: Ralf Lammel <Ralf.Lammel <at> microsoft.com>
Subject: Paper announcement: Software Extension and Integration with Type Classes
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general
Date: Monday 31st July 2006 11:42:41 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Dear Haskellers,

The following paper may still benefit from your comment.
The final version is only due per 10 August 2006.

Thanks,
Ralf Laemmel

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~ralf/gpce06/

Title: Software Extension and Integration with Type Classes

Authors: Ralf Lämmel and Klaus Ostermann

Abstract

The abilities to extend a software module and to integrate a software
module into an existing software system without changing existing source
code are fundamental challenges in software engineering and
programming-language design. We show that these challenges can be tackled,
at the level of language expressiveness, by using the language concept of
type classes, as it is available in the functional programming language
Haskell. A detailed comparison with related work shows that type classes
provide a powerful framework in which solutions to known software extension
and integration problems can be provided. We also pinpoint several
limitations of type classes in this context.

CD: 3ms