From: Michal =?utf-8?q?Kone=C4=8Dn=C3=BD?= <mik <at> konecny.aow.cz>
Subject: ANN: hmpfr-0.3.2 (requires integer-simple, supports mpfr 3.0.0)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Thursday 3rd March 2011 16:40:12 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Dear all,

I am pleased to announce hmpfr-0.3.2, a new version of AleŇ° Bizjak's
bindings
to the MPFR arbitrary precision floating point arithmetic library.  The
changes in this version are quite small but significant:

- support for MPFR 3.0.0 as well as MPFR 2.4.*
- dependency on integer-simple instead of integer-gmp

The latter is most significant because unfortunately it makes it rather
more
difficult to install hmpfr.   Currently almost all binary distributions of
ghc
have integer-gmp compiled in to provide the Integer type via the standard
GMP
library.  Also haskell platform 2010.2.0.0 assumes that ghc has been
compiled
with integer-gmp although it makes no specific use of it.  Instructions on
how
to compile ghc and haskell platform with integer-simple instead of
integer-gmp
are on:

http://code.google.com/p/hmpfr/wiki/GHCWithoutGMP

The rationale for this change is the fact that despite much effort hmpfr is

very unreliable on ghc that includes integer-gmp due to ghc deallocating
GMP
data that was allocated by MPFR at unpredictable times.

AleŇ° and I hope that hmpfr can return to using integer-gmp once the
proposal

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ReplacingGMPNotes#BinaryDropinReplacementforGMP

to replace gmp with a modified gmp in ghc is implemented and made the
default.

Best regards,
Michal
--