From: Isaac Jones <ijones <at> syntaxpolice.org>
Subject: Interest in helping w/ Haskell standard
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Wednesday 12th October 2005 22:39:34 UTC (over 11 years ago)
At the end of the Haskell Workshop at ICFP, we had the traditional
"Future of Haskell" discussion (chaired by Andres Loeh). One of the
main topics was the perceived need of a new standard, because the
Haskell 98 standard is quite old already, and Haskell has evolved in
the meantime, leading to a situation where almost none of the actually
existing Haskell programs is according to the 98 standard. No clear
opinion was visible on what form a new standard would take. There was,
however, considerable support for the idea to standardize an
incremental and moderate extension to Haskell 98 (working name
"Haskell 06" or "Industrial Haskell"). This effort would then be
separate from discussion about the Real Next Version (dubbed "Haskell
2").

John Launchbury asked for a show of hands of those who would be
interested in helping out with the "Haskell 06" standard.  I think
"helping" means "willing to spend a non-trivial amount of time".  That
is, it's pretty well expected that most Haskellers will be willing to
contribute to discussion on the mailing lists, but we're trying to get
a list of those who want to take it to the next level.  If you raised
your hand, or if you think this describes you, please email John
Launchbury at john@galois.com.

peace,

  Isaac Jones & Andres Loeh

CD: 4ms