From: Brent Yorgey <byorgey <at> seas.upenn.edu>
Subject: Data.List.Split
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Saturday 13th December 2008 16:30:36 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Today yet another newbie in #haskell asked about a 'split' function
for lists, and I got fed up with saying 'no one can agree on the right
interface so it doesn't exist, just write it yourself', because it's a
really dumb answer, even if it's true.

Instead of trying to get a 'split' function added to Data.List (which
will never ever happen), I thought, why not create a module
Data.List.Split which contains implementations of every conceivable
way to split a list?  Of course, people will probably still argue over
what should go in such a module, what to name the various functions,
etc., but hopefully we can converge on something useful.

I've created a Data.List.Split page on the wiki:

  http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Data.List.Split

Please add code to it!  Once something useful is hashed out we can
upload it to hackage.  Perhaps eventually some of it can be folded
into the standard libraries, but this seems like a much more
lightweight way to get started.

-Brent

CD: 3ms