From: Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts <at> worc.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: OpenSPARC project applicant chosen
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Saturday 20th September 2008 15:37:08 UTC (over 9 years ago)
I am very pleased to announce that we have chosen Ben Lippmeier for the
OpenSPARC project. ´╗┐Congratulations Ben!

Ben will spend three months hacking on GHC to make it perform well on
the latest multi-core OpenSPARC chips.

I would also like to thank the other people who applied. The reviewers
were very impressed by the number of strong applications.

About the project
-----------------

http://haskell.org/opensparc/

It is a joint project between Sun Microsystems and the Haskell.org
community. Sun has provided the funding for Ben to work on this full
time for three months and has donated a powerful SPARC server for him
and the rest of us to use.

Ben will be working with Roman Leshchinskiy as a mentor and Darryl Gove
as an adviser. ´╗┐Roman works on Data Parallel Haskell at UNSW and
´╗┐Darryl
is a senior staff engineer in the SPARC compiler team at Sun.

If you want to follow the progress we will be using the existing ghc
development mailing list: