From: Patrick Perry <patperry <at> stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: blas bindings, why are they so much slower the C?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Thursday 24th July 2008 23:22:34 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Last month Anatoly Yakovenko published some disturbing numbers about
the Haskell BLAS bindings I wrote being significantly slower than
using plain C.  I wanted to let everyone know that I've closed the
performance gap, and now for doing ten million dot products, the
overhead for using Haskell instead of C is about 0.6 seconds on my
machine, regardless of the size of the vectors.  The next version will
incorporate the changes.  If you can't wait for a formal release, the
darcs repository is at http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~patperry/code/blas/

Anyone interested in more details can check out my blog:
http://quantile95.com/2008/07/24/addressing-haskell-blas-performance-issues/

Thanks everyone for the input on this (especially Anatoly).  If any
else finds any performance discrepancies, please let me know and I
will do whatever I can to fix them.

Patrick

CD: 3ms