From: Don Stewart <dons <at> galois.com>
Subject: Galois Tech Talks: Stream Fusion for Haskell Arrays
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Friday 11th July 2008 22:13:33 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Just a quick note about next week's Galois Tech Talk. Now that Galois
has completed its move into downtown Portland, and a shiny new, centrally
located, office space, we're opening up our tech talk series a bit more
widely.  If you're in Portland, and interested in functional programming
and formal methods, drop by!

Title:      Stream Fusion for Haskell Arrays

Speaker:    Don Stewart
Date:       Tuesday, July 15th, 10.30am sharp.

Location:   Galois, Inc.
            421 SW 6th Ave. Suite 300
            (3rd floor of the Commonwealth Building)
            Portland, Oregon

Abstract:

    Arrays have traditionally been an awkward data structure for Haskell
    programmers. Despite the large number of array libraries available,
they
    have remained relatively awkward to use in comparison to the rich suite
    of purely functional data structures, such as fingertrees or finite
    maps. Arrays have simply not been first class citizens in the language.

    In this talk we'll begin with a survey of the more than a dozen array
    types available, including some new matrix libraries developed in the
    past year. I'll then describe a new efficient, pure, and flexible
    array library for Haskell with a list like interface, based on work in
    the Data Parallel Haskell project, that employs stream fusion to
    dramatically reduce the cost of pure arrays. The implementation will be
    presented from the ground up, along with a discussion of the entire
    compilation process of the library, from source to assembly.

About the Galois Tech Talks.

    Galois (http://galois.com) has been holding weekly
technical
    seminars for several years on topics from functional programming,
    formal methods, compiler and language design, to cryptography, and
    operating system construction, with talks by many figures from the
    programming language and formal methods communities.

    The talks are open and free. If you’re planning to attend, dropping
    a note to  is appreciated, but not required.
    If you're interested in giving a talk, Don's always looking for new
    speakers.