From: Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace <at> cs.york.ac.uk>
Subject: Google summer of code
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Tuesday 6th March 2007 20:25:02 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Google Summer of Code

As many of you will already know, Google is running its "Summer of Code"
project again this year, and haskell.org is once again going to apply to
be a mentoring organisation.  Are you a student who would like to earn
money for hacking in Haskell?  Or are you a non-student who has a cool
idea for a coding project but no time to do it yourself?

Well, our wiki to gather ideas is now up-and-running again:
    http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code

Add yourself to the list of interested people!
There are some ideas still there from last year.  Add new ones!

Google will start accepting student applications in just over a week's
time, but now is the time to start using our own wiki to match up
interesting ideas with interested people.

The official timeline is as follows:

 March 12: Mentoring organization application deadline
 March 14: List of accepted mentoring organizations published
 March 14: Student application period opens
 March 24: Student application deadline

 Interim Period: we review and rank student proposals
 April 9: List of accepted student applications published

 Interim Period: Students learn more about their project communities
 May 28: Students begin coding; Google begins issuing initial payments
 July 9: Students upload code to code.google.com/hosting;
 July 16: Google begins issuing mid-term payments
 August 20: Students upload code to code.google.com/hosting;
 August 31: Final evaluation deadline; Google begins issuing final payments

Regards,
    Malcolm

CD: 3ms