From: Isaac Jones <ijones <at> syntaxpolice.org>
Subject: darcs: the first haskell tool more popular than Haskell itself?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe
Date: Tuesday 24th January 2006 16:57:57 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Greetings,

Debian has a system called popularity-contest, which is an opt-in
survey of package use.  I was curious to see the ranking of darcs
among Haskell implementations themselves.  The results: Darcs ranks
higher than ghc and hugs.

# is the package name;
# is the number of people who installed this package;
# is the number of people who use this package regularly;
# is the number of people who installed, but don't use this package
#      regularly;
# is the number of people who upgraded this package recently;
# is the number of people whose entry didn't contain enough
#           information (atime and ctime were 0).

#rank name                            inst  vote   old recent no-files
(maintainer)
138   darcs                            563   159   280   124     0
(Isaac Jones)
(51)  hugs                             304   119   157    28     0
(Isaac Jones)
321   ghc6                             194    81    80    33     0     (Ian
Lynagh)

Hugs is listed in a different category, so the ranking is off.

Ian Lynagh pointed me at this nice graph showing the historical
installation of the three packages:

http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=ghc6,darcs,hugs&show_installed=on&want_percent=on&want_legend=on&beenhere=1

peace,

  isaac