From: Magnus Therning <magnus <at> therning.org>
Subject: Re: The next step for [haskell]
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.haskell.arch-linux
Date: Tuesday 6th March 2012 11:26:17 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:16, Alessandro Pezzoni
 wrote:
> I noticed that the current ghc from [ghc74], i.e. 7.4.1-4, isn't
> providing the same packages ghc from [extra] provides (or, at least,
> it doesn't turn up if I search for those packages). Is this done on
> purpose?

Yes, it is on purpose.

A bit of history: A while back, when `cabal2arch` was still used, it
was decided that when translating a Cabal package to an ArchPkg all
its dependencies should be translated into dependencies on ArchPkgs,
and that ghc should have each included library in its `provides`
array.  This meant that `cabal2arch` didn't need to keep track of what
libs shipped with ghc, this was good since a change in the list was a
bit cumbersome to handle.

The present: We now use `cblrepo` and we keep track of the libs
shipped with ghc in `cblrepo.db` together with the rest of the
ArchHaskell libs. Nowadays the generated source packages only depend
on `ghc`, not on the individual libs that comes with it, so there is
no need (in ArchHaskell) to include that long `provides` array.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: [email protected]   jabber: [email protected]