From: Don Syme <Don.Syme <at> microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: license latest?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.fsharp.general
Date: Wednesday 15th October 2008 21:07:10 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hi Raoul,

Thanks for asking about this!

W.r.t. licenses and releasing... Over the next year, the plan of record of
the F# team at Microsoft is to do three things:

  1. Bring Microsoft's implementation of F# to product quality as a
supported, runtime redistributable, with a corresponding set of Visual
Studio tools. You can expect these components to be shipped in various
forms: if F# is shipped as part of X, then you would expect those
components to have the same license as X.

  2. As we complete this over the next year, our plan is to make a
corresponding source release of the F# compiler components under MS-PL.

  3. Along the way, we plan to make a source release of the MSR "Power
Pack" components, also under MS-PL. These include tools such as fslex.exe
and fsyacc.exe and some libraries. These may be released more often and may
include experimental components.

The source for the compiler and Power Pack components is in the CTP release
but under a different license. Note that our next planned MS-PL source
release is of the power pack components.

In general, we aim for the source code releases we make of F# to open,
stable and correspond to supported releases.

I hope this clarifies our plans :-) It's possible things may change, but
this is our plan of record.

Kind regards
Don

P.S. On the whole we prefer to "do" rather than "pre-announce". But since
we've talked about our plans to do all of the above in various forums I
thought it would be helpful to bring them all together in one email :-)