From: Ivan Levashew <I.Levashew-p5BVnzS0U3ivImmLFaZgNA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [Plplot-devel] Trouble building on OS X
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lang.ada.macosx
Date: Wednesday 11th February 2009 08:39:51 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Jerry wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2009, at 9:12 PM, Ivan Levashew wrote:
>
>> Jerry wrote:
>>> according to the gcc documentation the names of the options are
>>> -compatibility_version and -current_version without the -Wl, i.e.,
>>> these options are meant to be interpreted by gcc rather than passed
>>> directly to the linker."
>>>
>>> Jerry
>>>
>> Hmmm... Right, ld expects some other options. According to my ld man
>> page, -dylib_compatibility_version number and -dylib_current_version
>> number must be used instead. So far:
>>
>> # gcc -compatibility_version @@@
>> equals to
>> # gcc -Wl,-dylib_compatibility_version,@@@
>>
>> and
>>
>> # gcc -current_version @@@
>> equals to
>> # gcc -Wl,-dylib_current_version,@@@
>>
>> And this should also work with MacAda
>>
>> --
>> If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom
>>
>> *** NOTE: You can read the message archive for this list, or
>>
> Thanks for the information, Ivan. I think the PLplot and cmake people
> consider the problem solved but I'll make sure they get your note.

I've found their solution.

http://mid.gmane.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.0901290855280.17157%40ybpnyubfg.ybpnyqbznva

> In Darwin.cmake, this user changed
>
> SET(CMAKE_C_OSX_CURRENT_VERSION_FLAG -Wl,-current_version,)
> SET(CMAKE_C_OSX_CURRENT_VERSION_FLAG -Wl,-dylib_current_version,)
>
> and got 2.6.2 build success with the simple example.
>
> He then went on to try and build PLplot, but ran into
>
> /usr/bin/ld: unknown flag: -compatibility_version
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Strange enough, why don't they do the same for compatibility_version ?

According to

http://mid.gmane.org/4981F98D.4040305%40kitware.com

they have deleted '-Wl,' as opposed to inserting 'dylib_'.

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom