From: Jez Humble <jhumble <at> thoughtworks.com>
Subject: Announcing Cruise
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.java.cruise-control.devel
Date: Tuesday 15th April 2008 12:06:23 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Greetings CruiseControl developers.

Congratulations on the release of 2.7.2.

Some of you will have been wondering what the ThoughtWorks CruiseControl
Enterprise team has been up to. Sorry for not keeping you up-to-date more
regularly -- we've had our heads down working for several months now.

ThoughtWorks Studios is announcing a new product today and we thought you
should be the first to know. It is a commercial continuous integration and
release management system called Cruise. You can find more information on
it here: http://studios.thoughtworks.com/cruise

Many of you will be wondering why Cruise has been developed as a
commercial product, and what relationship it has to CruiseControl. You can
find an FAQ on ThoughtWorks' forthcoming open source site which should
answer some of your questions:
http://opensource.thoughtworks.com/twos08/faq.html
(this link gives you a
sneak preview). Suffice it to say that we see a continuing need for both
products, but that they differ in their features and overall approach.

So why the name Cruise? It is important for us to acknowledge the debt
that we owe to CruiseControl, both in terms of its spearheading of the
practice of continuous integration and the fact that we have used parts of
the code in our new product. We want people to see the name "Cruise",
recognize that it's related to CruiseControl, and ask, "what's the
difference?" We want people to choose CruiseControl or Cruise based on
their needs, and see mutual benefit for both products in recognizing the
existence of the other. We have linked to the CruiseControl site from our
website, and will continue to do so.

If you have any further questions you're welcome to email me and I will
answer as best I can, with the caveat that I am not able to discuss the
schedule, pricing or feature set of Cruise in any more detail at this
stage. As and when I have more information, I promise you will be the
first to know.

With all best wishes,

Jez Humble (product manager) and Bobby Norton (tech lead)

Jez Humble
Product Manager, Cruise
t: +86 135 2170 1770
e: [email protected]