From: Patrick Lightbody <forum-struts-dev <at> opensymphony.com>
Subject: Non-discussion emails
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.devel
Date: Tuesday 17th January 2006 14:58:03 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Ted,
I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but you seem to imply that I don't
have any experience with this sort of stuff. I do.

We too at OpenSymphony use mailing lists quite heavily (as does every other
decent open source project out there). However, as technologies like RSS
have grown more popular, we adapted. Now we get our wiki changes and CVS
changes through RSS (Confluence and FishEye both provide RSS feeds). We
also offer the option of email messages, but that is up to the individual.

Conversations still continue around wiki changes and commits. For those
that subscribe to the mailing lists, they simply forward the message to the
dev list. For those that don't, they simply post a new message asking,
"John, can you explain why you changed Foo.java yesterday?".

Try to understand where I'm coming from: the wiki and commit changes aren't
interesting to me (I don't have time to look through any of them). Not just
for Struts, but for WebWork too. Instead, I do weekly reviews. With Struts,
I just delete those messages as they come in. And when I look at the
forums:

http://forums.opensymphony.com/forum.jspa?forumID=34

I see "NO NOT REPLY" and "[Struts Wiki]", making it just as difficult for
me to keep up with the other conversations. I didn't mean to imply that
those messages sometime don't spur a conversation, but pragmatically 99% of
the chatter I've seen does not come from them.

I definitely understand where you are coming from, and I hope you can see
where I'm coming from. Often when people have different work behaviors, the
best bet is to provide more options. This can be done by somehow allowing
individuals to opt out of those generated emails. I hope we can do
something about this.

Patrick