From: Hans de Goede <hdegoede-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi is no longer supported, time to switch to upstream u-boot
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.hardware.netbook.arm.sunxi
Date: Sunday 28th December 2014 08:59:55 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Hi,

On 23-12-14 10:59, Jens Thiele wrote:
> Hans de Goede  writes:
>
>> 2) How to build upstream u-boot for use with linux-sunxi sunxi-3.4
kernels

> [...]
>
> just wanted to report: success
> and thank you!
> will switch to upstream u-boot
>
> works for me using:
>
> A20-OLinuXino-MICRO + A13-LCD10TS (A20-OLinuXino_MICRO_defconfig)
> and
> slightly modified (older) sunxi-3.4 kernel (vmlinuz-3.4.75+)
>
> had some trouble getting my own modifications to work at first (maybe
> uEnv.txt isn't used at all?)

Correct, the default environment of upstream u-boot does not read uEnv.txt,
but usually old setups come with a boot.scr which does read uEnv.txt and it
should honor your boot.scr, this works for e.g. the Fedora allwinner remix
images.

> but after all succeeded on the u-boot
> command line using:
>
> setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait
loglevel=8
> load mmc 0 0x43000000 script.bin
> load mmc 0 0x48000000 vmlinuz-3.4.75+
> bootz 0x48000000

Good.

I see that you've a 10" olimex lcd module to go with your
A20-OLinuXino-MICRO,

I've written lcd support for u-boot (currently under review before going
upstream),
and I've tested it with the 7" olimex lcd module, it would be nice to also
include
an example defconfig for the 10" lcd module for users.

I've created and attached a defconfig for 20-OLinuXino-MICRO + A13-LCD10TS,
can you
give this a try with my personal git tree, sunxi-wip branch:

https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi/tree/sunxi-wip

Just drop the attached file under the configs dir, and follow the normal
build instructions using A20-OLinuXino_MICRO-lcd10_defconfig in the config
step.

This should give you u-boot boot messages on the lcd screen, and allow you
to interact with u-boot without needing a serial console, if you've a usb
keyboard
plugged in. Note u-boot currently lacks usb-1 support, so you need to plug
in the
keyboard via a usb-2 hub. Also u-boot will default to hdmi output if you've
something plugged in to the hdmi port, so to test the lcd unplug anything
you may have in plugged into the hdmi port.

Note that when used with a 3.19 kernel + this patch:
https://github.com/jwrdegoede/linux-sunxi/commit/d1b7faa5c69ef1ad52b739aa88cd803e08955360
This will also give you video out support while using an upstream kernel.

Please let me know how this goes, if it works I'll add this defconfig to
upstream
u-boot, so that people who want to use the 10" lcd module with a olinuxino
board
will have an example defconfig to work from.

Regards,

Hans