From: Eric S. Raymond <esr <at> thyrsus.com>
Subject: Re: [Gpsd-dev] The last fork of gpsd-1 is dead
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsd.user
Date: Wednesday 12th December 2007 00:20:07 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Ulf Lamping :
> AFAIK, gpsdrive is no longer maintained by Fritz Ganter, the current
> maintainer is Jörg Ostertag and a few contributors.

Thanks for the correction.

> As I'm working on a Win32 port of gpsdrive (one of the reasons I was
asking
> for / thinking about a Win32 port of gpsd some weeks/months ago), I had
> some contact with Jörg and he told me that the gpsdrive team is not
really
> interested in maintaining a "special gpsd branch" - no need to reinvent
the
> wheel :-)

Indeed there isn't.  Especially not when we ship such a *nice* wheel with
chrome spokes and hotplug autoconfiguration and everything :-)

> I'm currently sucessfully working with a gpsd generated under cygwin
(BTW:
> using a Navilock NL-302U). Once the win32 gpsdrive port is ready I may
even
> have a look at building a binary Win32 gpsd installer - if you like it or

> not ;-)))

You picked a really good time to bring this up.  I'm much less hostile
to the idea of some sort of Windows support in gpsd than I was this time
yesterday.  Here's why: I just found out from conversation with
Dragorn that Windows users are what makes a raw-NMEA parser necessary in
kismet-NG.

Frankly, I think it would be a service to the world to kill off any
other NMEA parser we can, Dragorn's not excepted.  Knowing what we had
to do to get NMEA parsing robust across all the freaky variants out
there, my hair stands on end when I think of anyone reinventing *that*
wheel.

So, while I'm still not willing to do contortions to support Windows,
I'm willing to explore relatively painless ways to do it.  A
Cygwin-based build might do that.  If you have a Cygwin build recipe
and are willing to maintain it, I'll put it in the repo and call
Windows supported.
--
		http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S.
Raymond