From: Eric S. Raymond <esr <at> thyrsus.com>
Subject: Re: gpsd on windows
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsd.user
Date: Thursday 6th September 2007 22:25:35 UTC (over 10 years ago)
Ulf Lamping :
> However, think of this: I don't know how many windows developers simply
> "disappeared" looking at the gpsd homepage reading this: "No, we don't
> support Windows — get a better operating system". Even after working
> more than 10 years in the software industry, I don't know what a "better
> operating system" really is!

This is the official project lead speaking.  I haven't been around much
lately because the project is in a pretty stable state and I trust Chris's
judgment, but I wrote the "get a better operating system" language you're
objecting to.

I'll see your "more than 10" and raise you to "more than 30".  After
three decades of programming, I *do* know what a better operating
system (than Windows) is, and I'm using one now.  Chris is using
another.

The truth is that (as Chris has already said) we're only interested in
Windows support if it doesn't result in a significant additional
codebase maintenance burden for us.  We'll take clean patches if
there's a Windows port maintainer to back them up; otherwise we're
probably not interested.

Thus, the fact that we might be putting off Windows developers doesn't
really bother us.  The Windows world has nothing to offer that we
really want.
--
		http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S.
Raymond