From: Tim Ansell <mithro <at> mithis.com>
Subject: Re: Hard/Soft FPU
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.handhelds.openzaurus.devel
Date: Wednesday 19th April 2006 15:19:55 UTC (over 11 years ago)
On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 15:55 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 13.04.2006, 10:23 +0200 schrieb Giorgio Marzano:
> > Could it be possible to improve the "compat" libs with hard fpu
support?

> In theory yes - it would be possible to generate a stub that tranlates
> hard fpu into soft fpu, when I met Tim Ansell (mithro) in Frankfurt last
> year, we talked a bit about that.
>
> In practice, it's pretty complicated though.

It's a month or two worth of sold full time work to get anything usable.
I had some test cases for doing such translations for the "sin" function
- but that is far as I got.

Its not going to go any further because,
 1. I don't use any commercial applications anymore
 2. It could easily be fixed by the commercial developers
 3. I don't have any spare time for anything OE related really
 4. Any time I spend could be better spent doing other tasks.

> > BTW i guess there are no apps working with compat-libs but with
> > soft-fpu? What are "compat" libs intended for?
>
> The compat libraries are to overcome the differences in the C++ ABI that
> vastly changed between the ancient 2.95.x and todays 3.x g++ compilers.
>
> Without the compat-libs, the commercial 2.95.x compiled apps wouldn't
> run at all on modern distributions.

******************** PLEASE NOTE! **************************************
**** The compat libs are ONLY FOR HARD FLOAT DISTROS! ******************

This means that they WILL NOT WORK on OpenZaurus!!!!!!!

Note, Applications appear to work but they will do many of the following
things:
 * Crash randomly without warning
 * Randomly corrupt your data (in unrecoverable ways)
 * Return random results
 * Stop your Zaurus from responding

If you use the compat libs on OpenZaurus it may also cause your friends
and family to die slowly and painfully!

I originally developed the libraries and have a good understanding of
what is happening, please take my advice.

Tim Ansell aka Mithro
Original Developer of the oz-compat libraries

easier