From: <casey.schaufler-xNZwKgViW5gAvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Quota support
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.handhelds.meego.security.general
Date: Wednesday 20th April 2011 16:41:28 UTC (over 6 years ago)
> From:
[email protected]mane.org
[[email protected]mane.org]
on behalf of ext Rolf Offermanns
[[email protected]]
> Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:28 AM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: [Meego-security-discussion] Quota support
>
> Hi All,
>
> do you consider quota support to be part of MeeGos security discussion?

Woof. Security people generally consider quotas part of resource
management.
If you allow for what quotas are supposed to achieve in your security model
you
are well down a road that leads to requirements around protection from
denial
of service issues. I don't have a model for a solution (yet) for denial of
service
issues, and I don't know anyone who does.

> If not, how will you keep applications from filling up the filesystem?

Look up "Parkinson's Law". Weep.

> Having a separate filesystem for application storage will help, but
> there will still be a problem with different applications competing for
> disk space.

Can't be helped. No one has ever written a polite application regarding
disk usage. Applications are like seagulls, scanning for free disk blocks
and chanting "Mine! Mine!".

> I just discovered that BTRFS has no support for quota currently, so that
> may be another thing to keep in mind.

Hum. Sounds like a project.

> -Rolf

CD: 3ms