From: Sousou, Imad <imad.sousou-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Day 1 is here - opening up the MeeGo development
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.handhelds.meego.devel
Date: Wednesday 31st March 2010 17:27:23 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Hi everyone...

Today is the culmination of a huge effort by the worldwide Nokia and Intel
teams to share the MeeGo operating system code with the open source
community. This is the latest step in the full merger of Maemo and Moblin,
and we are happy to open the repositories and move the ongoing development
work into the open - as we set out to do from the beginning.

What are we opening? The MeeGo distribution infrastructure and the
operating system base from the Linux kernel to the OS infrastructure up to
the middleware layer. The MeeGo architecture is based on a common core
across the different usage models, such as netbooks, handheld, in-vehicle,
and connected TV. The MeeGo common core includes the various key subsystems
including the core operating system libraries, the comms and telephony
services, internet and social networking services, visual services, media
services, data management, device services, and personal services. More on
this will be described on meego.com over the next few days.

The downloaded images will boot from a USB stick or directly flashed on the
device from your Linux PC, but since the MeeGo User Experiences for the
usage models mentioned previously are not yet included in today's MeeGo
core, these images will boot into terminal.
After Day 1, the rest will follow soon - in the next few days, we will post
the next steps leading to the first release of MeeGo in May.

The images available today are: ARM-based Nokia N900, Intel Atom-based
netbooks, and Intel Atom-based handset (Moorestown).  These images can be
downloaded from http://meego.com/downloads

The corresponding package (RPM) repositories are at repo.meego.com/MeeGo
and the git source repositories are available at http://meego.gitorious.org/.
Bugzilla is at http://bugzilla.meego.com/