From: Shane Isbell <shane.isbell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Android Open-Source Project on devices
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.handhelds.android.platform
Date: Saturday 26th September 2009 14:55:13 UTC (over 7 years ago)
We are willing to open-source SlideME Market client (SAM). We are all
heavily into open-source. Henrique, our portal architect, is the
project lead for the Drupal AWS module project and puts all of our AWS
integration code here (http://bit.ly/j6Ci). I'm also founder of Masa
Maven plugins for Android - http://code.google.com/p/masa/

SAM has always been the one piece we have had trouble generating an
developer interest for. We started as open-source (http://
code.google.com/p/slideme/) but eventually closed it down due to no
community interest. If there is community interest (and by this I mean
people willing to work on the code because they see a need), I'll re-
open it as ASL 2.0. The code needs TLC and there is a lot of room
feature improvements. Of course with this, we would publish the specs
for our catalog interaction.

Henrique can expose any APIs from our portal that the community would
need for additional features such as comment and ratings, which I
haven't had time to add (I also handle a lot of the business side of
SlideME).

SAM has already passed QA at HTC and is distributed on-device in some
regions. You can see some screenshots here: http://slideme.org/sam SAM
supports catalog screenshots, video, paid applications, etc.  I think
we do a lot of things better than Android Market and with community
development, I can see it going much, much further.

Thanks,
Shane