From: Jean-Baptiste Queru <jbq-z5hGa2qSFaRBDgjK7y7TUQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Android Open-Source Project on devices
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.handhelds.android.platform
Date: Saturday 26th September 2009 05:12:30 UTC (over 7 years ago)
All right, it's been an memorable week, let's try to move on and be
constructive and talk about how we can make Android better for
everyone.

I explained about readers and writers last week:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/88a7e52e8dd85c5a

As a quick reminder, readers get code from the Android Open-Source
Project to do things with it in private, while writers contribute
patches. Tonight I'll expand a bit on that notion.

Since this is android-platform, I'll focus on the "writer" side of things.

As writers, we're also readers: in order to create good changes, it's
necessary to be able to test those changes (and also to dogfood them,
i.e. to use them exactly the same way a user would use them). So, in
truth, it's a fundamental part of contributing to the Android
Open-Source Project to be able to contribute to it.

The primary target form factor for Android is a phone. That means
that, deep inside, a fundamental part of allowing writers to play
their part is to allow the Android Open-Source Project to be used on
phones. And, by that, I don't just mean that it needs to compile and
boot, i mean that it has to be usable as a day-to-day phone. Right
now, it's not. The range of applications is too limited, the
applications that are in there don't all work, and there are quite a
few system glitches along the way.

Another aspect is that it makes no sense to expect every contributor
to have to apply the same set of manual patches to get to a basic
working state. Android Open-Source Project should be usable "out of
the box" on commonly available hardware.

For now, I still think that the hardware of choice for AOSP is the
ADP1 (i.e. the HTC Dream hardware, i.e. the G1).

So, as a starting point before we can seriously talk about "heavier"
contributions, let's make the Android Open-Source Project work
reasonably on ADP1. In the short term, I believe that it makes the
most sense to start with cupcake, given that we'll have the official
ADP1 1.5 images to compare with.

I have access to the makefiles and other configuration files that are
used to build the official ADP1 images, which will allow to replicate
a similar setup in AOSP.

Who's with me?

JBQ

--