From: ~suv <suv-sf-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Updated Cairo branch
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel
Date: Sunday 10th April 2011 09:14:52 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On 8/4/11 01:59, Krzysztof KosiƄski wrote:

> I have updated my Cairo branch today, as a step towards merging it.
> There is one new regression, namely feImage does not handle aspect
> ratio. It will be fixed before merging.
> IIRC, there is a problem with CMS output, the editing controls are not
> using custom XOR blending, and there are build failures on Windows.
> Does anyone remember any other bugs?

a) outline view mode

cairo-renderer r9589, OS X 10.5.8 (i386), Apple's GCC 4.2.1, no OpenMP:
- cairo 1.10.2, GTK+/X11
- cairo 1.11.2, GTK+/Quartz

Outline view mode uses white to draw the outlines: they are not visible
on default backgrounds (white). The color of the outline apparently is
not inverted (or xor-composited (?)) when using a dark background, either.

Currently, outline mode is only usable with a solid, darker background.

b) multi-threading / OpenMP

As described earlier [1], OpenMP is not detected by the configure script
when building with Apple's GCC 4.2.1 (although the man page states
otherwise, and e.g. 'libgomp.a' and the omp header do exist).

Testing a build of the cairo-renderer branch using plain GCC 4.2.4
installed via MacPorts does enable OpenMP (-fopenmp), but when used in
rendering, Inkscape randomly hangs (apparently waiting for something to
finish(?) - see attached backtrace when interrupting Inkscape after it
no longer accepts any input).

The build with GCC 4.2.4 also produced several warnings from the linker
("ld warning: can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs (...)").

I will try with newer GCC versions [2], but so far my earlier tests
building inkscape trunk with GCC 4.5 and GCC 4.4 had other serious
issues (crashes, or e.g. broken text rendering on canvas).

IMHO with the new renderer, we should get OpenMP working on OS X as
well. Any input or help - maybe it just needs adjusted compiler and
linker flags (?) - would be appreciated.

~suv

[1] <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inkscape.devel/34491>
[2] currently installed GCC versions (XCode 3.1.4, MacPorts):
     gcc-4.0      (4.0.1, Apple)
     gcc-4.2      (4.2.1, Apple)
     gcc-mp-4.2   (4.2.4, MacPorts)
     gcc-mp-4.3   (4.3.5, MacPorts)