From: PhilipNienhuis <pr.nienhuis <at> hccnet.nl>
Subject: Re: "Official" binary release for Windows
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.octave.maintainers
Date: Thursday 20th March 2014 15:47:02 UTC (over 3 years ago)
John W. Eaton wrote
> On 03/07/2014 07:10 PM, John Donoghue wrote:
>> On 03/07/2014 06:08 PM,

> octave-maintainers-request@

>  wrote:
>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 17:21:01 -0500
>>> From: "John W. Eaton"<

> jwe@

> maintainers@

>>> Subject: "Official" binary release for Windows

> 531A464D.90905@

>>> I'd like to start making the Windows installer available from
>>> ftp.gnu.org.  Is it ready for that now?  Or are there some significant
>>> problems that need to be fixed before we should make "official"
>>> releases?
>>>
>>> jwe
>>
>> I havent had any issues recently with the build except with gcc.
>>
>> I had added a readme html file for the install that may want to be
>> looked at / modified prior to distribution, depending on what is
>> distributed or not.
>>
>> Would it also make sense to list in it all the packages that are known
>> to work and compile in windows ?
>
> Sure.
>
> Is there any good reason that openblas should not be used by default?

(I don't remember if I have reported this already. Apologies if this is a
duplicate)

OpenBLAS doesn't work well on (some?) Intel Core i3 processors (at least
not
on Windows).
The initial cmd32 window (the one that disappears after a while during
start
of Octave) shows three OpenBLAS errors, apparently about some missing CPU
instructions (IIRC something with "VAXD" or "VAXXD").
I saw this on a colleague's laptop, I haven't been able to check it out
further as he works in another branch office.

In the latest binary Octave-for-Windows installer versions there's an
option
for choosing either the reference BLAS or OpenBLAS; so OpenBLAS problems
can
be avoided.
Perhaps the installer screen where the BLAS version can be selected could
show a warning that OpenBLAS may not work reliably on all CPUs.

Philip