From: Charles Wilson <cwilso11-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: mingw-gets last-rites bug [Was: Re: New MinGW and MSYS Installer]
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user
Date: Friday 3rd September 2010 17:38:33 UTC (over 6 years ago)
On 9/3/2010 1:00 PM, Andy Rushton wrote:
> Strange behaviour - I tried the CLI command 'mingw-get list' not
> realising it wasn't there yet and of course got an error.
>
> No problem.
>
> However, this seems to have uninstalled mingw-get!
>
> I found a mingw-get.exe~ file in /mingw/bin but renaming it to lose the
> tilde just gives another error:
>
> mingw-get.exe: libexec/mingw-get/mingw-get-0.dll: shared library load
failed

> So I guess I need to reinstall.

No, just rename mingw-get.exe~ back to mingw-get.exe, and rename
mingw-get-0.dll~ back to mingw-get-0.dll.

> But why would an error cause an uninstall in the first place?

It's part of the new (very very alpha-ish) functionality in
mingw-get-0.1-alpha-0.3, which attempts enable mingw-get to upgrade
itself, without requiring a reboot.  See, unlike linux, Windows doesn't
let you update files that are currently in use (working around this is
the main reason for the "reboot after update" dialog boxes many
installers give you).  But...Windows DOES let you rename files that are
currently in use. So, mingw-get tries to rename its own core files,
which then -- theoretically -- would allow mingw-get to download and
install any new "mingw-get" update packages.  Afterwards, IIUC the new
last-rites program renames them back, if you HAVEN'T installed a newer
version.

However...if there is an error during the normal mingw-get -- such as,
'the requested package does not exist' -- mingw-get aborts, and
last-rites doesn't get called to fix stuff back up.

It's a bug.

--
Chuck

http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.