From: Charles Wilson <cwilso11-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Updating the Installer
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user
Date: Monday 30th August 2010 05:55:58 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On 8/26/2010 11:59 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> That's
> why I proposed a simple GUI wrapper whose job is to:
>
>   1) install mingw-get in the user-selected location
>      (note: using the %R mechanism, we don't even need to modify
>       the profile.xml)
>
>   2) execute mingw-get itself with the desired arguments, driven
>      by gui selections.  For this stop-gap, I propose something VERY
>      simple, without a lot of flexibility. Notwithstanding the
>      capabilities of mingw-get to (once Cesar is done) install either
>      gcc3 or gcc4, the stop-gap GUI installer will be only able to
>      install one: gcc4-latest [1].  But, the user can select which
>      major languages to install:
>
>      MinGW GCC Version 4 C compiler:           always installed
>      MinGW GCC Version 4 C++ compiler:         optional
>      MinGW GCC Version 4 Fortran compiler:     optional
>      MinGW GCC Version 4 Objective C compiler: optional
>      MinGW GCC Version 4 Ada compiler:         optional
>      MinGW Make:                               optional
>      MSYS Base Package:                        optional
>
>      Note that MSYS is not very granular. You either don't install it,
>      or you get the entire msys-base meta package.  Nothing in between,
>      and no GUI mechanism to add other elements.
>
> So, if all elements are selected, the GUI would invoke mingw-get as:
>      'mingw-get gcc g++ gfortran objc ada make msys-base'
> and report status back to the user.  It could then create a desktop
> shortcut for msys if it was installed, and update the system $PATH (most
> GUI installer toolkits allow this sort of thing fairly easily).

I have a working prototype of this installer.  I've attached the source
code; you can follow the instructions in the .iss file to build it
yourself.

I'm not publishing the actual binary installer yet, because: First, I'm
using some hacked-together .xml manifests that aren't official. These
are also in the attached tarball (basically use 'mingw-get update' to
download the official ones, then copy these over the top).  Second, I'm
using a CVS version of mingw-get, which calls itself 0.1-alpha-3, but
Keith hasn't officially blessed current CVS *as* 0.1-alpha-3, so...

The point is, once the manifests are finalized, and mingw-get-0.1-a-3 is
released, this installer can be rolled out very quickly.

--
Chuck

CD: 3ms