From: Charles Wilson <cwilso11-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Updated packages available (wave 4)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user
Date: Saturday 15th August 2009 19:21:25 UTC (over 8 years ago)
I've uploaded new versions of various existing MSYS packages to
sourceforge, as well as an MSYS version of groff and man.  This update
is a little different than the previous ones; in this case I've actually
rebuilt and updated some of the components of msysCORE, rather than
restricting myself to elements of the old MSYS DTK and "Supplementary
Tools".  I wouldn't ordinarily have done that (treating msysCORE as
owned by Cesar [[I forgot, in wave 2, that bzip2 was part of msysCORE;
also wave 2's xz package obsoletes/replaces msysCORE's lzma]]), but:

  1) I actually ran in to problems with our old versions of some of the
tools, esp. sed, diffutils, and gawk, while building the other tools.

  2) By splitting these out into separate packages, future versions of
"MSYS" can simply be created as a "profile" of
which-sub-packages-to-install, in our nifty new to-be-developed
installer, rather than requiring the current monolithic
build-world-and-call-it-msyscore strategy

  3) And, some of these (rxvt) need to be removed from msysCORE anyway.

In general, I compiled each tool with languages enabled (do we really
want to take the position that non-English speakers are unwelcome, when
all it requires from us to support them is to remove "--disable-nls"
from our build scripts?  The "gettext is not part of core" argument
doesn't apply any longer, as /nothing/ will really be part of core
except msyscore-base once we have the modularized installer, and msys
gettext isn't even a shared library so there's no additional -dll
package to worry about). The impact on download size is fairly small, as
the message catalogs compress nicely; impact on installed footprint is
sometimes larger -- in several cases I packaged them in a separate -lang
tarball.  And the end user can always do "rm -rf /usr/share/locale" if
they really want to; the binaries will still work but all messages will
be in English.

Each package has been updated to the latest official upstream release,
and incorporates relevant patches from Debian, cygwin, and forward ports
of existing msys patches.  The release notes for each package indicate
test results; by and large all tests passed, or the failures were few
and acceptable (typically due to MSYS-no-symlink, and MSYS-lax-chmod-bits).

You may also notice that some of the executables are larger than
previously. This is /not/ because of the NLS support -- at least, not
directly; very little of the growth is attributable directly to libintl.
 Rather, the newer versions of many of these tools now expect to be able
to handle multibyte and/or wide character *data*, regardless of whether
their own messages are translated or not.  However, given the lack of
support for multibyte and widechar in MSYS itself, the GNULIB
replacement functions are triggered. Since GNULIB replacement functions
are linked in statically -- the binaries get bigger.

There are only two cures for this:
  1) stay with old versions of the tools, which do not expect nor
include GNULIB replacements for multibyte and widechar text handling
  2) Update MSYS (v2.0?) to provide this support intrinsically, like
cygwin-1.7 does

As usual, you'll find the new packages at the FRS
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/
in
the following folders:

MSYS CORE components
   MSYS sed           3.02   -> 4.2.1
   MSYS m4            1.4.7  -> 1.4.13
   MSYS file          4.16   -> 5.03
   MSYS grep          2.4.2  -> 2.5.4
   MSYS gzip          1.2.4a -> 1.3.12
   MSYS gawk          3.1.5  -> 3.1.7
   MSYS texinfo       4.11   -> 4.13a
   MSYS less          358    -> 436
   MSYS tar           1.19.90-> 1.22
   MSYS diffutils [*] 2.8.7  -> 2.8.7.20071206cvs
   MSYS patch         2.5.4  -> 2.5.9
   MSYS findutils     4.3.0  -> 4.4.2
   MSYS rxvt     [**] 2.7.2  -> 2.7.10.20050409

MSYS DTK Components:
   MSYS mktemp  [***]     1.5 -> 1.6
   MSYS cvs           1.11.22 -> 1.12.13
   MSYS vim           7.1(285)-> 7.2(245)

NEW:
   MSYS groff   [****] 1.20.1
   MSYS man     [****] 1.6f

The new packages satisfy the latest MinGW/MSYS packaging standards,
allowing a more granular installation in keeping with the "minimal"
nature of MinGW/MSYS. See
http://www.mingw.org/PackageIdentificationHOWTO
for more information.

However, until an installer capable of managing the granular selections
is available (which will happen eventually), what we have is a whole lot
of packages, which you the user have to download separately and manually
unpack. So what should you install?

Short version: if it has "-dll" in the name, you'll probably need it at
some point, so download and install all of those.  You'll definitely
want mktemp-bin (it should have been added to msysCORE-1.0.11, but was
missed).  After that, you probably want the various -bin packages in the
MSYS CORE group, to update exising tools.

Finally, whether you install cvs-bin, vim-bin, groff-bin, and man-bin is
up to you.  As always, *-msys-*-dev packages are of interest only to
those developing MSYS applications using the MSYS DVLPR environment.

[*] Needed to use CVS because otherwise autoreconf failed. The reason
for choosing 20071206 instead of HEAD was because that's the CVS version
that OpenSUSE is using, and has tested -- no sense in us being the
guinea pigs for any additional changes (although there aren't that many
commits after that date).

[**] Updated to current cygwin release. Upstream development has
stalled, as of 20050409; these sources represent the latest CVS version
available from sourceforge, as well as incorporating additional changes
from cygwin.

[***] mktemp is provided as a standalone package. However, it was added
to coreutils as of version 6.10 (22-Jan-2008).  If we ever update
coreutils beyond 6.0, that'll require some coordination.

[****] I got tired of having to fire up cygwin to run man, and I've
never had too much luck with the mingw version.  However, if a user has
installed both the mingw and msys versions, obviously the $PATH settings
to prefer /mingw/bin will cause that user to also continue to use the
mingw man.  Modeling after Debian's groff-base packaging, I've split
groff-bin into two pieces: -bin is what you need for man to work. -ext
and -smp contain all the other junk and examples.

So, what's next?

For the repackaged DTK, not much:
  gmp
  guile
  autogen
  lpr

For msysCORE, there's really just
  [1] bash
  [2] coreutils
  [3] make  [cs/cp/ci?]
  [4] and, of course, msyscore-base

[2] probably should be split into -bin and -ext, where -ext contains all
the tools that AREN'T currently part of msysCORE (and -doc, -lic, and
-src, as usual).

[3] I guess we've settled on cpmake as THE msys 'make', right?

[4] This would just be what you get from building and installing msysrt,
plus the various addon scripts, icons, and whatnot.

However, I'm not going to touch any of that [1-4].  After I finish
gmp/guile/autogen/lpr, I'm done for a while.  A long while.

Aside: you know, I think what we're gradually doing -- once we have the
new installer -- is similar to what cygwin did when they transitioned
from B20.1's "full.exe" to the 1.1.0 "Net Release"...

--
Chuck

P.S. Here's the list:

sed-4.2.1-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
sed-4.2.1-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
sed-4.2.1-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
sed-4.2.1-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

m4-1.4.13-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
m4-1.4.13-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
m4-1.4.13-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
m4-1.4.13-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

mktemp-1.6-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
mktemp-1.6-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
mktemp-1.6-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
mktemp-1.6-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

file-5.03-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
file-5.03-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
file-5.03-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
file-5.03-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma
libmagic-5.03-1-msys-1.0.11-dev.tar.lzma
libmagic-5.03-1-msys-1.0.11-dll-1.tar.lzma

grep-2.5.4-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
grep-2.5.4-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
grep-2.5.4-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
grep-2.5.4-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

gzip-1.3.12-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
gzip-1.3.12-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
gzip-1.3.12-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
gzip-1.3.12-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

gawk-3.1.7-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
gawk-3.1.7-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
gawk-3.1.7-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
gawk-3.1.7-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

texinfo-4.13a-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
texinfo-4.13a-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
texinfo-4.13a-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
texinfo-4.13a-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

less-436-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
less-436-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
less-436-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
less-436-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

rxvt-2.7.10.20050409-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
rxvt-2.7.10.20050409-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
rxvt-2.7.10.20050409-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
rxvt-2.7.10.20050409-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

tar-1.22-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
tar-1.22-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
tar-1.22-1-msys-1.0.11-ext.tar.lzma
tar-1.22-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
tar-1.22-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

diffutils-2.8.7.20071206cvs-2-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
diffutils-2.8.7.20071206cvs-2-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
diffutils-2.8.7.20071206cvs-2-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
diffutils-2.8.7.20071206cvs-2-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

patch-2.5.9-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
patch-2.5.9-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
patch-2.5.9-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
patch-2.5.9-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma

findutils-4.4.2-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
findutils-4.4.2-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
findutils-4.4.2-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma
findutils-4.4.2-1-msys-1.0.11-src.tar.lzma
locate-4.4.2-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma

cvs-1.12.13-1-msys-1.0.11-bin.tar.lzma
cvs-1.12.13-1-msys-1.0.11-doc.tar.lzma
cvs-1.12.13-1-msys-1.0.11-lic.tar.lzma