From: Giovanni Bajo <rasky-vWjgImWzx8FBDgjK7y7TUQ <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: ANN: MinGW GCC 4.1.2 binaries installer for Windows
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user
Date: Tuesday 20th March 2007 17:26:58 UTC (over 10 years ago)
On 3/20/2007 3:11 PM, Bob Rossi wrote:

> Yes, we really need it. GCC-4.x supports wchar_t and I can't properly
> compile apr, apr-util and log4cxx on mingw with out that feautre.

GCC 4.x has so many new features that it's obvious that people want it.
For instance, it optimizes C++ code far better thanks to the new tree
optimizer. It has autovectorization. It has the C++ tr1 library. It has
the brand new gfortran compiler. Java support reached major milestones.
And so on.

In my personal case, for instance, GCC 4.1 optimizes a certain codebase
much better than MSVC71 (which is our default compiler). So I can make
the team migrate to GCC 4.1, but not to GCC 3.4 (which produces *worse*
code than MSVC71).
--
Giovanni Bajo