From: Keith Marshall <keithmarshall-Rn4VEauK+AKRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Harmonizing mingwrt / w32api with mingw-w64
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.devel
Date: Sunday 19th July 2009 13:55:22 UTC (over 9 years ago)
On Saturday 18 July 2009 23:38:27 Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> I'm therefore proposing that after the upcoming mingwrt release,
> we begin to harmonize with the efforts of Kai and company.  I'm
> willing to put in the effort, because I see it as a definite win /
> win.
>
> Thoughts?

I completely agree; I've never made any secret of my opinion that
Kai's fork was a *bad* move, detrimental to the synergistic progress
of both branches of development.

FTR, Kai forked his mingw-64 project without prior consultation or
explanation.  Coming, as it did, shortly after Danny had questioned
the provenance of some of Kai's patches, it left a strong impression
of Kai behaving as a sulky child: "If I can't have my own way, and
play by my own rules, I'm taking my ball away".

We neither requested nor encouraged the fork, and we would be
delighted to see the two branches of development merged once again.
However, we would require a formal audit of mingw-64 code, to ensure
conformance with our requirements for truly open documentation of
sources, before such a merge could be completed.

--

Regards,
Keith.