From: Jason D. Clinton <me <at> jasonclinton.com>
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct and Foundation membership
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.foundation.general
Date: Wednesday 25th November 2009 16:58:38 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Dave Neary  wrote:

> It seems like the issue isn't making people promise to be nice, it's
> what happens when they aren't. And once again the board has taken the
> easy way out, by not being judgemental about reported behaviour.
>
> In this case, I'd like to see the board clearly come out & say "we don't
> have a problem with this", or "we have a problem with this" (while
> saying what "this" is), instead of having a wishy-washy solution. Mostly
> I agree with Emmanuele & Jason on this.

Well let's put a proposal on the table and get this behind us, finally. I
propose this amendment to the GNOME Code of Conduct:

Enforcement

Violations of the Code of Conduct on or in GNOME Foundation sites, mailing
lists or other forums of official GNOME business (such as conferences) are
referred to the GNOME Foundation Membership Committee which is empowered by
The Foundation to act quickly and judiciously. The Membership Committee,
upon review of a complaint, is empowered to ask that action be taken by the
maintainer of the forum(s) in which the violation occurred in the following
order, escalating only upon repeated violations within a short period of
time:

1. A warning from the Membership Committee or its representative
2. 1-day suspension of communication privileges in that forum of GNOME
communication
3. 1-week suspension of all communication privileges in all GNOME
communication forums
4. Permanent suspension of all communication privileges in all GNOME
communication forums.

The maintainers of any GNOME forum are strongly encouraged to adhere to the
Membership Committee's recommendations but not required to do so. It is
ultimately up to the forum maintainer to implement the suspensions; this
process is intended to bring a objectivity and transparency to any GCoC
punitive recommendation.

CD: 4ms