From: Artem Kachitchkine <Artem.Kachitchkin <at> Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: GNOME and non-linux platforms (release team please stand up)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.desktop
Date: Wednesday 22nd July 2009 22:50:22 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hi David,

> You know, maybe if the non-Linux platforms actually participated in
> _designing_ and _developing_ the core plumbing bits, threads like this
> wouldn't have to happen.

> It would be a lot better if non-Linux platforms, like Solaris is in this
> respect, actually started participating much earlier. You still have
> time for the DeviceKit-disks and DeviceKit-power stuff for example.
>
> Anyway, if SUN started changing this behavior then maybe it would be a
> lot easier to not feel incredibly insulted by statements like "it
> behooves them as professional open source software engineers to respect
> the requirements". Because right now it's the pot calling the kettle
> black.

[Standard boilerplate, speaking for myself, not my employer.]

I did the initial HAL port to Solaris (but long since moved to other
stuff), you might remember me. With respect to benefits of early
participation, I agree with you completely - I learned the hard way and
have been trying to convince folks here not to repeat that mistake with
PolicyKit, ConsoleKit and DeviceKit - as you can witness, with little
success.

There is no single reason or person to be blamed: there's organizational
fragmentation and inertia; lack of funding; differences in engineering
culture; etc. I am getting a positive vibe from engineers slowly warming
up to the agile, iterative development style, so hopefully things are
moving in the right direction.

I wouldn't get too offended with what Calum said, I think it's the right
idea, though perhaps the proposed implementation isn't optimal in that
the testing cost distribution is lopsided. To give a simplified example,
what we had during HAL development sometimes, say, 0.x.y was released
based on Linux exclusively and we had to follow that up with a 0.x.y.1
release to fix FreeBSD/Solaris issues. With an established N-way
commitment from all interested platforms, I believe such issues could be
resolved upfront, leading to higher quality releases (less iterations)
and a more even cost distribution, with little effect on schedule.

So from a bystander's point of view, maintaining GNOME's platform
neutrality requires effort from both sides: from the ideological
leaders, maintaining portability as a core requirement, built in not
screwed on; and from interested platforms, continuous participation and
timely response.

-Artem

CD: 12ms