From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad <at> behdad.org>
Subject: Re: GNOME DVCS Survey Results
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.desktop
Date: Tuesday 6th January 2009 08:46:09 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Hi everyone,

Well, let me first say that I'm a bit disappointed at where this thread has
gone so far.  Some of the words passed around we could do without starting
brand new year.

I want to encourage everyone to stay on topic, so we can actually do
something.  Now, I didn't say "so we can make decision", because let me
make
it clear if it wasn't, this thread is not about making decisions.  This
thread
is about giving those making the decision input they need to consider.  Who
makes the decision?  Those who actually have to implement, oversee, and
maintain any change.  And needless to say, no change will happen unless
someone is willing to JF do it.

From what I understand, so far there has been one proposal, from Olav, who
proposed that he and John implement John's idea of implementing a git-serve
plugin for the bzr repo server.  I think many people pointed out the major
flaws in that scenario.  I want to stress that we should not make the same
mistakes that we blame our downstream distros for making, namely:
developing
hacks in house instead of working them out upstream.  Moreover, we should
not
get ourselves in another homegrown mess that will need to be maintained for
the years to come.  Look at our bugzilla situation now.  git-serve will be
bigger issue.

So, here is what I'm bringing to the table:  I'm volunteering to work with
interested fd.o admins and other volunteers to switch GNOME to git.  I need
first go check to see if I can secure enough time to lead this, and if I
can
get enough peoples' attention to make this happen in a timely manner.  I
will
make an official proposal when I figure those out.

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> [0] I'm reasonably sure it has some. not as the one proposed to avoid
> pissing off somebody somewhere because we want to be inclusive -- no,
> lemme rephrase that: we are *fucking afraid of committment*. seriously:
> an abstraction over DVCS? what have we become? are we *ever* going make
> *any* decision about *anything*? this is actually a larger issue with
> the GNOME community: we are being afraid.

Thanks Emmanuele for bringing this up.  It deserves more than a postscript
spot.  This is a real issue we need to overcome.  At some point, we need to
understand that we can't make everyone happy.  We should aim for making
everyone happy-enough.  And it helps if individuals also understand that
it's
not about any single person getting what he wants.  That's exactly why we
did
the survey to get an idea of what the community at large prefers.

Cheers, and a late Happy New Year,

behdad

CD: 3ms