From: Andrew Cowie <andrew-2KHxOkysSnqmy7d5DmSz6TlRY1/6cnIP <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Release series
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.bindings.java.devel
Date: Wednesday 30th March 2011 21:21:08 UTC (over 6 years ago)
I've talked about this with most people on IRC, but to summarize: We've
been saving an API break called "4.1" for a while. We'll use it to
handle GTK 3.0 and GNOME 3.

So, in hindsight,

        "java-gnome 4.0 was the series that works against GTK 2.x"

As GTK 3.0 is an ABI and API incompatible change (not to mention things
like libnotify) we will use the API break that we have been saving,

        "java-gnome 4.1 will be series that works against GTK 3.x"

Work is currently going on in a '4.1' branch. Fedora needs a 4.1 release
within a month because they don't have older stack present.

It'd be nice to release a 4.0.20 with everything marked @deprecated that
needs to be, but I don't want to see us block on that. The biggest
changes have to do with drawing in Widget.Draw rather than
Widget.ExposeEvent, and the height for width changes to request /
allocation, so we'll make sure we mark the methods and interfaces that
are affected there.

Finally, I don't really expect us to sustain both in parallel. We will
of course backport security fixes.

Our 'mainline' is a 4.0.z branch right now, calls itselv 4.0.20-dev.

There is a '4.1' branch, calls itself 4.1.1-dev.

I will switch 'mainline' to being '4.1' within a month, once people
running Gentoo, Fedora, and Ubuntu Linux have access to GTK 3.0 packages
(ie when Ubuntu Natty is out). Then we'll have a '4.0' branch around in
case we need it.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management: enabling
successful deployment of mission critical information technology in
enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London

CD: 13ms