From: Benny Malengier <benny.malengier <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gramps 3.2 and Mint
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.genealogy.gramps.user
Date: Wednesday 17th March 2010 09:29:01 UTC (over 7 years ago)
2010/3/17 Pat Clark :
> I've just put 3.2 on Linux Mint 8 KDE. It works really well and it
> imported a gpkg file made from 3.1 with no trouble (once I'd set the new
> path for the pictures). The best version of Gramps yet.
>
> I love the new view system, now I can't lose the person I'm working on
> under a pile of windows.
>
> Will there be a version of 3.2 packaged for Ubuntu 8.04...please.

I am running the source version of Gramps on Ubuntu 8.04 without problems.
The easiest to set it up would be:

1/Make sure the default Gramps is installed via the package manager.
Like that you have all dependencies ok
2/Install python-webkit or python-gtkmozembed
3/download the tar.gz file and extract it in you home directory, eg
/home/me/gramps/
4/go into the directory and if const.py is not present, rename
const.py.in into const.py. You could edit const.py to point to correct
directories for home, ..., if you want
5/open a terminal (Konsole or Terminal)
6/type:
python -O /home/me/gramps/gramps.py

That should start the new version. Be carefull to not open new family
trees in the old version of Gramps, so always start Gramps in the
above manner.

So, not much more difficult than installing a deb, and no compiling
required.

Benny