From: Philipp Thomas <philipp.thomas <at> t-link.de>
Subject: Re: identifying c++ aliasing violations
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gcc.devel
Date: Monday 12th December 2005 23:36:43 UTC (over 11 years ago)
On Sun,  4 Dec 2005 20:07:33 -0500 (EST), Jack Howarth wrote:

>swigpy.cc: In function 'int SWIGPY_Python_ConvertPtr(PyObject*, void**,
swig_typ
>e_info*, int)':
>swigpy.cc:620: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
strict-alia
>sing rules

My recent encounters with python (in my case libboost_python) have shown
me that code that uses the Python interface has to use
no-strict-aliasing. Even the Python folks decided to use that switch in
2003 for the Python code (written in C).

This is mostly because Python code is riddled with casts to PyObject.

Philipp

CD: 3ms