From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Don't shoot the messenger
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gcc.devel
Date: Thursday 23rd January 2014 22:22:34 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On 23 January 2014 21:58, Eric S. Raymond  wrote:
> Steven Bosscher :
>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>> > I have not run direct checks on the quality of the optimized code, but
>> > reports from others that it is improved seem plausible in light of
>> > the fact that GCC's optimization technology is two decades older in
>> > origin.
>>
>> Yay, another "fact".
>>
>> You must have missed the almost complete rewrite of GCC's optimization
>> framework that was merged in 2004 and that's been continuously
>> improved since than: http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/tree-ssa/
>>
>> Really. Do your homework.
>>
>> Ciao!
>> Steven
>
> And another bullet whizzes by my head.
>
> Really, attempts to shoot the messenger *won't help*.

Then stop trying to "help" us, please.

>  By ignoring the
> areas where clang *does* have a clear advantage, *right now*, you are
> displaying the exact head-in-the-sand attitude that is most likely to
> concede the high ground to clang.

It's not about having our head-in-the-sand and not wanting to hear the
message.

You seem to think you're doing us a favour by telling us something we
need to hear.

We've heard it. It's not a new message. You can stop telling us now,
thanks.

> That outcome wouldn't be a problem for me.

In that case you can stop trying to pass on the message now. We've heard
it.

>  It would hurt the FSF's
> prestige pretty badly, though.  It's not really my job to care about
that,
> but I thought someone here would. Perhaps I was wrong.

I know you think you're trying to help, but you're just yet another
person standing outside the tent pissing in, thinking you're helping
us win a war with Clang.  But there is no war.

There's room for two high-quality open source compilers. They will
distinguish themselves in different ways, one of which is licensing.

Now please, stop trying to help.

CD: 3ms