From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant <at> google.com>
Subject: Re: Patch pinging
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gcc.devel
Date: Monday 28th June 2010 23:39:17 UTC (over 7 years ago)

wrote:

>>> Ian had confidence in me.  He also liked the proposal I set for how to
>>> go about it.
>>
>> So who actually said no?
>>
>> David
>>

> The Frederic guy didn't like my fake-looking fake name, and wanted a
> real-looking-but-just-as-fake name, or he wouldn't create a sourceware
> account for me.  He then ignored my followup emails asking for
> clarification.
>
> You guys need to realize how online identities work in this century.

The overseers as a whole were not comfortable giving an account to
somebody who was not willing to provide his real name.  I concurred in
that decision.  Giving somebody a shell account on gcc.gnu.org means
giving them a very high level of trust.  There are quite a few people
who could translate a shell account on gcc.gnu.org into a number of
difficult-to-detect attacks on the entire FLOSS infrastructure,
including the kernel, the source code control systems, etc.  It's hard
for us to get to the required level of trust in somebody whom we have
never met and who won't provide any real world contact information.

NightStrike, thanks for volunteering, and thanks for being honest about
the name issue rather than simply making something up.  I'm sorry that
it won't work out.

Manu, I have no problem supporting you in implementing a Bugzilla
upgrade if you are still interested.

I think one of the unfortunate causes of the lack of response to
volunteers is that PR 43011 was, sensibly enough, filed against the gcc
repository, but was not CC'ed to [email protected]  I would like to
encourage our bugmasters to consider CC'ing overseers for issues related
to infrastructure.

Ian

CD: 3ms