From: Jeff Law <law <at> redhat.com>
Subject: Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gcc.devel
Date: Sunday 22nd March 2009 22:52:59 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Jeff Law  wrote:
>

>>> So what if the FSF hadn't accepted the reality of the day, and had
>>> decided to let egcs *not* be the official GCC?  Would you have pulled
>>> the plug on egcs and gone back to the cathedral?
>>>

>> Personally, I would have continued to put my effort into EGCS.
Obviously, I
>> can't speak for other developers specifically, I believe if you compared
>> overall developer participation in the projects, it was clear that EGCS
was
>> more viable.
>>

> yes -- and some of us got into GCC, precisely thanks to the open
> development of EGCS.

That's good to hear.

 FWIW, I don't think we're anywhere near the same kind of tipping point
we faced a dozen years ago.   I believe both sides learned lessons along
the way and I actually see evidence of that in the simple fact that
we've got a license and blessing to go forward with a plugin framework.

Jeff

CD: 3ms