From: Dave Crossland <dave-yX7OcqChgmE <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [GFD] OFL-FAQ update draft and web fonts paper
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.freedesktop.fonts
Date: Wednesday 22nd May 2013 20:15:25 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Hi,

On 22 May 2013 22:07, Vernon Adams
 wrote:

> Or, is there something i am not understanding in this?  :)

I think its unreasonable to expect every person publishing a blog who
makes their own subset to contact every copyright holder every time
they want to use a new OFL-RFN web font.

I think the desirable effect of RFNs can be preserved with a trademark
license, while alleviating the undesirable effect of prohibiting
subsetting and other trivial changes while retaining the name users
are familiar with.

I note that SIL itself also asserts both RFN and trademark rights on
its font names; so if you are keen to maximize control over your font
names, it may make sense to do what I'm suggestion in addition to
RFNs, rather than replacing them.

Cheers
Dave

CD: 3ms