From: Keith Woodlock <keithwoodlock-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: measuring speed of front-end work pre and post MIFOS-4409 spike
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.finance.mifos.devel
Date: Monday 24th January 2011 10:33:40 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Adam,

 This will certainly show work progressing along for spring/ftl and
will probably see the struts/jsp come down in chunks etc

  - It doesn't give us a sense of done though e.g. a given flow has
being completed, and testers happy it still looks/acts same as
previous implementation
  - How to you determine that you are going faster than a month ago,
the work can be different in certain ways or there might be
more/less/different people involved in the work?

Its useful in that it will give an overall sense of work happening,
for checking wheter some innovation lead to better productivity, I
don't think its possible to measure it in any accurate way but a rough
gut feel measure should be enough:

 - Do you think its easier to do work now that we do x?
 - Do you think you can work faster becase of x?

regards,
Keith.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Adam Monsen
 wrote:
> I want to have decent stats for our front-end refactor spike to present
> to my boss (and showcase, too!). Will you help me by taking a quick look
> at my baseline data?
>
> Here's what I've got so far for a baseline:
> http://adammonsen.com/tmp/r/report.html
> This basically uses LOC (lines of code) over time to measure how fast
> we've gone so far in migrating from Struts/jsp to SpringMVC/ftl.
>
> After we've done a few areas, we can re-generate the report to get an
> idea of how much faster we're moving given whatever new innovations we
> employ (such as Michael V's "workspace 2.0").
>
> Gut reactions? Perfection?
>
> Thanks!
>

> ~~
>

> some random thoughts:
> * LOC (lines of code) is just one measure of development speed, and
> probably not a great one. But it's easy to measure, and it does indicate
> movement.
> * My goals for these stats included: easy to understand, relatively
> robust, and repeatable (ie: we just run it again later).

price-free!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d

price-free!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d