From: Simon Michael <simon-jbxitMBJ2LLQT0dZR+AlfA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: code review!
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.finance.ledger.hledger
Date: Sunday 20th July 2014 16:29:54 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Hi all,

the latest GitMinutes episode - http://episodes.gitminutes.com/2014/07/gitminutes-30-luca-milanesio-on-gerrit.html
- has made me wish for more code review. He makes a nice analogy: when
coding you are in a tunnel, trying to get to the end, with very restricted
vision. Other people, or you at other times, have a much broader view and
can see differently.

Regular code review would doubtless improve quality a lot. Also, it's an
excellent way to spread knowledge about hledger internals and
infrastructure, learn haskell idioms, and expand the pool of contributors.
Thirdly, solo coding takes a lot of energy, but collaboration is
energising. I wouldn't be surprised if it also improved quantity (speed of
delivering new tested features).

So: are there some of you out there who would like to help with a bit of
review and make hledger better ? It's not just about code either: UI (web
or cli), documentation, web presence and other topics could all benefit
greatly.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'll announce a code review topic on a sunday or
monday. We then have four days for asynchronous email-based code review on
the hledger list. On friday morning at say 9am PST (5pm GMT) we have a
half-hour or an hour of real-time IRC-based review (on the #ledger channel,
probably). Right after that I summarise the IRC chat for the mail list.

How about this week ? Any ideas ? Any topic works for me; focussing on
recently changed areas could be a place to start.

-Simon