From: Thomas Leonard <talex5 <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OCaml build failure on Windows
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.zero-install.devel
Date: Monday 7th March 2016 20:13:25 UTC (12 months ago)
On 6 March 2016 at 17:55, Thomas Leonard  wrote:
> On 28 February 2016 at 19:22, Thomas Leonard  wrote:
>> On 28 February 2016 at 18:35, Bastian Eicher  wrote:
>>> Hi Thomas,
>>>
>>> commit bc11f017c298 (Use Format module in more places) makes the OCaml
>>> builds on Windows fail:
>>> https://0install.de/teamcity/viewLog.html?buildId=16107&buildTypeId=ZeroInst
>>> all_OCaml_Windows&tab=buildLog
>>>
>>> Perhaps some additional build dependency needs to be installed on the
build
>>> agent?
>>
>> It's just that it's using an older OCaml (4.00). I've pushed a fix.
>>
>> We should probably drop 4.00 support at some point though. 4.03 is
>> about to be released!
>>
>> I think the current Windows build uses WODI, but we should be able to
>> switch to opam (the standard OCaml package manager, used on Linux and
>> OS X) soon. I need to check what the status is, but I think the
>> current work is here:
>>
>>   https://fdopen.github.io/opam-repository-mingw/
>>
>> I haven't got a Windows VM to test it on at the moment though.
>
> An update on this: I've created a branch to experiment with
> opam-on-Windows. It builds using the Appveyor Windows CI. Currently,
> all dependencies can be installed with opam, and 0install builds, but
> the tests fail (they didn't work before, either, though):
>
>   https://github.com/0install/0install/tree/appveyor
>
>   https://ci.appveyor.com/project/talex5-ci/0install/build/1.0.4
>
> Testing locally on a new Windows VM however, I got a missing DLL error:
>
>   https://github.com/fdopen/opam-repository-mingw/issues/12#issuecomment-192940646
>
> Still, if someone can get this working then installation on Windows
> will become much easier!

OK, it seems to be working now, once the DLLs are copied. I updated
the instructions here:

  https://github.com/0install/0install#windows-installation

Bastian, can we get the Windows builder updated to use this system? It
should be a lot easier to keep it up-to-date.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard        http://roscidus.com/blog/
GPG: DA98 25AE CAD0 8975 7CDA  BD8E 0713 3F96 CA74 D8BA

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.
http://makebettercode.com/inteldaal-eval

CD: 3ms