From: Bastian Eicher <bastian <at> eicher.net>
Subject: 0bootstrap-php
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.zero-install.devel
Date: Saturday 26th July 2014 13:58:58 UTC (over 2 years ago)
I've created a more lightweight version/alternative to 0boostrap as a PHP
web service which I'm calling 0boostrap-php:
https://github.com/0install/0bootstrap-php

The code is very minimalistic: you pass in an application name and feed URI
and it gives you (depending on your OS) a small bash script or a Windows
EXE
that will first install 0install if it is missing and then "install" the
feed. Unlike the original 0bootstrap it does not fetch and parse the feed
URL, it just pastes it into the script/EXE, presumably making it safe for
public usage.

I've hosted an instance here:
http://0install.de/bootstrap/?name=[APP-NAME]&uri=[FEED-URL]
Sample usage:
http://0install.de/bootstrap/?name=WinMerge&uri=http%3A%2F%2F0install.de%2Ff
eeds%2FWinMerge.xml

I was thinking of adding a link to the interface.xsl. That way all feeds
could have a "Get this application" link that would work regardless of
whether the user already has 0install.
I think this would be valuable to developers considering publishing their
application exclusively via 0install, since they would not have to rely on
users taking the time to understand what 0install is if they actually don't
care about it and simply want to  get the application.

I could use some help getting the logic for installing the 0install package
on different Linux distributions right (mostly untested so far):
https://github.com/0install/0bootstrap-php/blob/master/template-linux.sh#L9

http://p.sf.net/sfu/bds

CD: 3ms